I love chicken salad. It’s one of the things my mom always made for us growing up. It’s great for lunches, quick dinners, and makes for a great picnic lunch too. We eat chicken salad several ways with or without fruit sometimes too. I was looking for a new way to make chicken salad and make it healthier. This avocado chicken salad is very healthy and is a perfect lunch idea!
I’m always looking for an easy lunch idea I can make fast the night before work or the morning of. I need something that I can eat fast too (usually standing up as I’m helping kids open their lunches too!) In reality a sandwich is easy and fast but I get tired of those. I’m not a huge fan of deli meat either unless it’s really fresh.
Chicken salad is one of my go-to ideas. It’s easy to make and I love all the ways I can mix and match to change it up. Avocados are a great addition to any meal and works really well with this. I started buying the little mini servings that usually come 4 in a pack. Each one is 100 calories so it’s just the right amount for this recipe and nothing goes brown or goes to waste.
Check out how easy this avocado chicken salad recipe is:
- 2.5 oz of canned chicken (1/2 a small can)
- 1 mini guacamole pack (100 calorie pack)
- 1/2 of a red pepper (can do any color)
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic salt optional
- lime juice optional
- Cut the bell pepper in 1/2 and scoop out seeds.
- Save 1 half for tomorrow's lunch.
- Open the canned chicken (5 oz) can and scoop half out into a bowl.
- Save the other half for tomorrow's lunch.
- Scoop out the guacamole and add it to the canned chicken
- Chop up the half of the bell pepper and add to the chicken mixture.
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Stir together and add your lime juice if using.
- Store in a good container with the lid.
- Go ahead and make the other half of chicken and chop up bell pepper for tomorrow's lunch.
I love that this recipe makes 2 meals! I love having a little crunch in my chicken salad so the bell pepper chopped up worked great! Another option is to scoop the chicken and guacamole into the half of bell pepper and eat it like that. I’m not sure the total calories on this but it’s close to 250 (according to my calorie tracker app).
I took this to work 2x last week and brought along some carrots and veggie chips. I loved it and it was wonderful! If you’re looking for a healthier easy lunch, this avocado chicken salad is perfect for you!