Strawberry pretzel salad is a tasty and pretty dessert. It will make you want to eat this salad every day!
There is a cute little tea room by my house that my mom and I would always go to. It’s a place where you can get a trio plate filled with 3 yummy salads. One of the choices is a strawberry pretzel salad and once my mom introduced me to it we would get it as a special treat every time.
Strawberry pretzel salad is really not a green salad like you might be thinking about. It’s actually a dessert but it works so well with chicken salad or fruit salad too.
This is really a great dessert or ‘salad’ to serve at a party or even a wedding or baby shower. It’s really pretty and works great in the summer or really anytime of year.
Be warned, it’s very sweet but it’s also savory too! It’s the best of both worlds. If you don’t like strawberries you can easily switch out the berries for raspberries.
We always have good, fresh strawberries here but you can also also make this strawberry pretzel salad with frozen strawberries as well.
Since we loved this dessert salad so much my mom and I wanted to try making it. The first time we made it, it was a total flop! I’ll explain what happened below but I’ve been wanting to try something different to make it better and I might have figured it out.
Strawberry pretzel salad doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, which is very nice but it does require a few steps and some muscles. It’s also a little more time consuming and needs a good 4-5 hours for the jello to set so keep that in mind.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- 2 cups of crushed pretzels This is where you need muscles to crush these and it take awhile unless you have a good food blender. I put some in a baggie and used a rubber mallet.
- 3/4 cup of melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1 container of cool whip
- 1 cup of sugar
- 8 oz of strawberry jello
- fresh strawberries
To make this delicious dessert first you need to:
- Make and bake the crust. Preheat the oven to 400. In a bowl melt 3/4 cup of butter. Crush up 2 cups of pretzels. (This is time consuming!!) Add the crushed pretzels to the bowl, melted butter, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Form into a 9X 13 dish or a brownie pan to the bottom. You will make this for 8-10 minutes. Once it’s done let it cool completely.
- Make the Middle. In a bowl mix the cream cheese, cool whip, and 1 cup of sugar. Beat this until totally smooth. Once the crust is cooked and totally cooled off then you can add the middle by carefully spreading the whipped mixture on top of the crust.
- Make the jello. Follow the jello directions and once it’s mixed you will need to cool this for at least 30 minutes in the fridge before adding to the top. I cooled mine for an hour and it probably could have used more time even. The first time I made this I added the warm jello too soon and it totally sunk to the bottom. It was a disaster.
- Once the jello is chilled really well carefully add it to the top of the cream mixture along with fresh strawberries and let set in fridge for 4-5 hours.
The strawberry pretzel salad is really best after setting in the fridge for several hours. When you cut into it it might fall apart (mine did!) but it still tastes really good!
Have you ever tried a strawberry pretzel salad before? Want another idea for a sweet treat? Check out other delicious desserts.