The other night we were planning to take the kids out to dinner. Since we have a little one still, it’s hard to just go out to eat. I have to plan ahead. I have to PREPARE. It got me thinking and somewhat laughing on the way to eat about all the things I do now that I NEVER did before kids…
Before kids I NEVER:
- Carried wipes with me. Now? All the time, everywhere! Wipes are essential 😉 Table cleaners, hand cleaners, nose wipers…
- Worried I can hardly remember what it was like before kids but I know my biggest worry would have been being home in time to watch Lost or if I picked up my clothes at the cleaners before they closed. For real.
- Left the house w/o make up. Like NEVER. I’m still not the best at this but I have learned to really not care as much. No time!
- I never knew just how much stuff you HAVE to take with you just to run a few errands. And how much of a pain car seats and strollers are!
- Knew just how good at catching vomit in my hand I’d be. When you have a child with a bad gag reflux you catch a lot of vomit!
[bctt tweet=”What did I do with all that time before having kids? Some things I NEVER did #momlife “]
- Could multi-task as much. I could do a few things at a time but now I can talk on the phone, vacuum, dust, clean up, all while carrying around my 25 pound 15 mth old!
- Had anything follow me around so much! My dog didn’t even follow me around as much as my kids do! Everywhere, especially the bathroom.
- Knew how much sleep I’d just not get. I used to sleep all the time. Nice peaceful, beautiful sleep! 8 hours or more with no interruptions! Imagine!
- Had much to do. Like really what did I do before kids??? I have no earthly clue. Husband and I were married 3 years before we had a baby. 3 years! What the heck did we do for 3 years??? Love on our dog, I guess!
- Knew how hard it was to be a Mom. I knew it was hard but not HOW hard. Now I see all the worry and grief that goes in. The giving up sanity to help the kids. How you come last.
- Thought I’d drive a minivan! Guess what? I did for 2 whole years. Then I traded it in. I wasn’t a mini van Mom but I sure tried!
- but mostly before kids I NEVER knew how much I could love something more
than anything in the world. Yes, my kids drive me nuts sometimes.
Sometimes I can’t wait for bedtimes and a time when I’m alone for a
second. But as soon as I see their eyes in the morning,
the green like the forest and blue like the sky eyes they have I’m
thankful. Their long lashes and baby soft skin. I can’t imagine my life without them. Both of them. Before kids, I never knew what it meant to be a Mom. The hardest, but most rewarding job in the world.