Warmer weather is a big time during the year when sun damage can occur. Take these amazing tips into consideration to help present sun damaged skin.
If you feel that your anti-aging skincare routine is up to speed in the fight against dry and dull looking skin, yet you feel there’s something missing, you could be fighting the wrong battle. Skin damage from the sun is common, and will age your skin faster than missing even a week of your normal daily moisturising routine. Our hair is also something that suffers after spending too much time in the sun, but fear not, better-notyounger.com have a range of products that are designed to work with your hair in the short and long term, with much-needed nourishment for your locks. Now, let’s move on to fighting back against the sun.
Sun damage – what’s going on?
About 95% of sunlight is a type of radiation called ‘Ultraviolet A’ (UVA). The remaining 5% isn’t exactly rainbows and wet puppy noses, either, because bringing us squarely to 100% is another type of radiation called ‘Ultraviolet B’ (UVB). There’s not really a nice thing to be said about either of them, but let’s get into it.
UVA – Penetrates deep into the skin, resulting in long-term damage to your skin cells and wrinkles that can be nigh on impossible to shift (think of it like squirting hot water onto a patch of pristine snow … there’s going to be some noticeable damage).
UVB – Doesn’t penetrate as deeply as it’s bothersome sibling, but is nevertheless responsible for sunburn and all that pain you feel when your skin has turned sore. Oh, and this is the responsible party regarding skin cancer. It may only make up 5% of sunlight, but it packs a serious punch (there is actually another type of radiation, for your information, called UVC, but thankfully this is absorbed by the ozone layer).
Tips to Prevent Sun Damaged Skin
- Avoid direct sunlight between the peak hours of between 10AM and 2PM.
- Wear hats, sunglasses, and sufficient clothing if possible.
- Make sure you’re using a high-SPF broad-spectrum sunscreen.
- Reapply sunscreen often, every hour if outside or when swimming.
You’ll need to use sunscreen every day during the summer months if you want to stand a chance against the ever present and ever harmful effects of sunlight (remember, UV radiation isn’t blocked by glass, so wear protection if you’re sitting by a window)
It’s so much easier to present sun damage than to correct it. Wear that sunscreen!!