These rice krispie bird nests are so fun to make with kids and just as delicious to eat! They are perfect for spring or Easter time.
There are so many fun spring and Easter snacks you can make with your kids. I love to try out new recipes each year. This recipe is one I have actually tried before and #failed. I tell you what I did to make sure you don’t do the same thing. It’s an easy step to forget!
My kids love rice krispy treats but something about making them from scratch is just so much better. It does mess up a few pots because (melted marshmallows!) but the product is totally worth it!
When we are getting closer to spring and Easter time time try making these rice krispie bird nests. They would be really cute to have if hosting an Easter lunch or just to share with friends. If you teach preschool or need to bring a snack for a spring birthday this would be so cute too!
Rice Krispie Bird Nests
6 cups of Rice Krispie Cereal
1 bag of mini marshmallows
3 tablespoons of butter
Candy for the eggs (M&M’s or jelly beans work great!)
- In a large bowl measure out 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal.
- In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter with the bag of marshmallows on low. Stir until they are melted together and sort of a creamy consistency.
- Quickly add the melted ingredients to dry and stir to combine. This will be a VERY STICKY mess!
- Here is a tip: Spray a spoon with PAM or other non-stick baking spray to help it not stick.
- This is my other tip to not make this a #fail recipe! Very generously spray cupcake pan (and your hands!) as you add some of the mixture to cupcake mold pressing it in.
- Let it cool. This can take a different amount. Mine needed at least 1 hour. It was a little too soft still after 30 minutes.
- Using a knife that you spray with PAM, carefully take out the nests and add some eggs on top!
- Store in an airtight container, enjoy!
Looking for another Easter snack idea? Try this fun egg snack that is perfect to use the plastic leftover eggs!