This Valentine button heart craft is so simple to make. It’s a great activity for an older kid to do! I love how it turned out and it so cute as our new Valentine homemade decoration.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase I earn a commission.
My girl loves to do crafts. She loves all things dealing with glue and paint. I picked up some supplies for her to do a few crafts and this is one she loved. This button heart craft cost less than $10 and I got the supplies from Hobby Lobby. I just love Hobby Lobby!
Full disclosure: I actually bought too many buttons. I had no idea how many I would need but I only used 1 full pack of 100. I spent a little more than $10 but I didn’t need to since I didn’t use the other button bag 🙂
The first few steps to start off with this button heart craft might be better for an adult to do. I chose to do them and then let her do the majority of the rest.
- Small canvas. I got an 8X10 and it turned out to be a good size.
- masking or painters tape
- black paint
- red or pink buttons
- good craft glue
- felt heart (I used a pattern from an old heart I found in my supplies. You can also draw one on pink paper)
How to Make a Button Heart Craft
- Tape off the canvas to make rows. I’m not a perfectionist at all so my lines are not straight!!
- Using the black paint and brush, begin to paint the strips that are white. I did 2 coats.
- Let try! I waited about an hour.
- Carefully remove the tape to show the striped canvas.
- This step is not necessary but I found a felt heart in some supplies and then glued the buttons onto it to make sure I liked the size (and to make sure my buttons fit!) You can draw a heart or whatever you want!
- Make sure the buttons have dried and then carefully glue the felt heart onto the canvas.
I think it turned out really cute! I taped the canvas and then my daughter (age 10) did the rest on her own! I love simple projects that we can do together. I think it goes really well if the rest of my Valentine decor I have out this year.